Monday, June 19, 2017

Food aids send to refugees camp by Nigeria government has been stolen

According to BBC News, an officials in Nigeria say half of government food aid sent to people displaced by an Islamist insurgency never reached them. Nearly three-million people have been displaced during the eight-year uprising by Boko Haram militants.

The spokesman for Acting President Yemi Osinbajo said a new system, launched earlier this month, had drastically reduced the diversion of aid - a polite word for theft.

Now, hundreds of police and soldiers escort the vehicles delivering the food, right to the point where it is given to the hungry.

At least, 1,000 trucks filled with foodstuffs such as grain are on their way to the north-east. One-and-a-half million people are said to be on the brink of famine.

Boko Haram fighters continue to attack, despite a more robust offensive by the military.

Post a Comment

Vacancy: Director General/Chief Executive Officer needed by Ministry of Mineral Development

The Ministry of Solid Minerals Development is an agency set up to unlock the economic potentials of the solid minerals sub-sector in Nigeria...