Yams are perennial herbaceous vines cultivated for the consumption of their starchy tubers in Asia, Africa, Central and South America, and Oceania.
Yam is one of the most important food crop especially in the yam zone of West Africa.
Locally, yams are peeled, sliced, cleaned, dried and then blended into a flour, also called elubo. Yams are white in colour but turn brown when dried.
PROCESS OF MANUFACTURING POUNDED YAM FLOUR
(1) Wash the yam tubers properly to make sure that, all sand and dirt's are neatly wash away.
(2) Peel the yam tubers using knife or cutter ( manual labour).
(3) Carefully slice the yam tubers into pieces using the yam slicer.
(4) Wash the slice yams properly ready for parboil.
(5) Parboil the sliced yams in a pot or big basin or boiler for sometimes until it is partially boiled.
(6) Dry the parboil sliced yams using drier or sundry for some days until it is properly dry, ready for milling.
(7) Mill the granules.
(8) Sieve the powder.
(9) Package the powder in the branded nylon bags, then, seal it properly.
Now, market, here you go!!!!! Enjoy poundo yam flour processing.